Monday, March 17, 2014

Berlin, Bologna, and a Mummy


This week I got to go on a four-day school trip to Berlin with my classmates! We had an amazing time visiting the museums, enjoying the sunshine, and touring the city. I’ve been to Germany before, but Berlin has a different atmosphere than the other places I’ve visited there. I think it’s one of the most fascinating European cities I’ve seen yet.
The thing that really made an impression on me about Berlin is that the whole city is like a museum. It has such a tragic history, and yet the people have managed to overcome that and turn Berlin into a vibrant, friendly city. The Germans have done a great job of setting up memorials to remember the past, while still acknowledging that the city doesn’t always have to be a place of sadness. For example, there was a stretch of the Berlin wall- which of course shows how divided the city once was- that had paintings of doves and quotes about peace on it. Instead of just tearing down the wall, they had used it to create something new and beautiful. Hundreds of people had written inspirational quotes in various languages. There were colorful paintings and signatures too. That way, looking at the remains of the wall, you remember that the city was once separated, but there is a peaceful message written on it to show hope for the future. In another place along the wall, tall metal poles had been set up where the wall once ran. They are wide enough apart for a person to cross through them, but visible enough that you remember when you look at it that it hasn’t always been that way. It was a simple but perfect way to remember the division of the city. Next to that part of the wall, there was a stone block with pictures of the people who had died trying to cross the wall. Many of them were children. And yet as we were saddened to look at the pictures of 5-year-olds who had been killed in Berlin in the past, there were lots of healthy, happy ones running around and playing in the park. There are very few places in the world that have found such a perfect balance of living in the peace of the present without forgetting the tragedy of the past. Overall I loved Berlin not because it was the most beautiful city I’ve ever seen, but because it was one of the most unique. Plus it was great to spend time with my Italian classmates!

The other exciting recent event here in Italy was carnevale. Rotary took us to Venice and Trieste for the festival, and although it was POURING the whole day we were in Venice, we had a great time in Trieste. Carnevale here in Italy is a multi-day festival where you put on costumes, walk around the city center, throw as much confetti as you can into the streets, eat special holiday foods, and dance/party in the evenings. We went to a parade with elaborately decorated floats in a town near Trieste, which included lots of dancers and some of the most beautiful costumes I have ever seen! My favorite was a monster-themed float that had people dressed as wardrobes walking around. Every once in a while the doors of the wardrobes would fly open and the person inside would scream and throw confetti in the faces of anyone nearby! The Italians really know how to have a party.

Yesterday I took a train to Bologna to visit the city with Ellen and Julia (some exchange student friends). One of the highlights of the day was that we visited the mummy of St. Catherine, who died in the 1400s and whose intact mummified body still sits upright in a beautiful church. You can go in and see her body for free during certain hours, and we were lucky enough to be in Bologna on a day the chapel was open! Santa Caterina was dressed as a nun and was inside a glass case, in a small but elaborately decorated circular room. I think it was the most beautiful room I have ever seen, with colorful frescos, golden statues, and fresh flowers everywhere. People went up to her and kneeled at her feet to pray, crossing themselves and touching the glass that surrounded her. There was definitely a sense of importance and mystery about the room. I also went up to Santa Caterina to kneel before her, and it was amazing to look at her mummified feet, hands, and face. I've never had an experience like that before, it was spiritual somehow! The rest of the trip was great as well; Bologna is just a beautiful city to explore because of all the buildings, fountains, and statues. I definitely want to go back someday. 

Outside of my travel excursions, I have been continuing to help teach English at school (which I’ve really enjoyed), study Italian, and hang out with my classmates and fellow exchange students. I know it sounds cliché, but I can't believe I've already been here for 6 months.

Until next time, ciao a tutti!
Visiting the Reichstag (Berlin capital building) with my classmates

Viewing the mummy of Santa Caterina- yes, that is her real body 

Artwork on the Berlin wall

Another snowshoeing expedition!

In front of paintings on the Berlin east side gallery (remains of the wall) 

Dancers during a parade for carnevale in Trieste

A float for the carnevale parade

No comments:

Post a Comment