Monday, September 16, 2013

La Scuola Italiana


Last week I started school at the Liceo Quadri science school in Vicenza! Even though we go to school on Saturdays here in Italy, I really enjoy school so far J The kids in my class are all very friendly, and my teachers have been patient with me as I learn. School lasts from 8:10 am until 1:00 or 1:40 depending on the day. There are five years of high school here, so I am in the fifth year, in class 5ALG. At the beginning of high school each student is placed in a class with a group of kids they stay with all day every day during high school. They are placed according to interest (my class, 5ALG, is a “linguistic” class). Each school in Italy specializes in a certain area, and my school is a science school. However, there are also other subjects besides science offered at the school, and after talking with my school counselor, she decided to place me in a “linguistic class” (one that takes foreign languages) because of my interest in German. Quindi (therefore), I stay in the same classroom with the same kids for the whole day, and the teachers move from room to room to teach us the different subjects! My schedule includes English, Math, Physics, Art History, Religion, History, Italian Literature, German, Physical Education, and Latin. I don’t really understand the schedule yet, but my classes rotate each week. The lectures are often very difficult to understand- not only because the Italian is spoken VERY fast but also because the material is advanced! I try to listen and understand as much as I can, but for now I end up either jotting down random words that I recognize or ones that I look up in a dictionary later. In art history my teacher kept saying the word “flamboyant” (it sounded kind of French when he said it) but we were studying a painting depicting Dante’s Inferno, which doesn’t really match my interpretation of the Inferno… so that’s about how much I understand at this point! I know I’ll improve in the weeks and months to come, so I’m patient with myself. (Also in Latin I’m completely lost). Ah well. I like my classmates a lot, many of them are interested in music, theatre, and languages just like me! On Sunday I went to church with my host mom, and after the service I talked with the choir director there and signed up to be in the church choir! Tomorrow is my first rehearsal.
Sidenote about Italy: the bus system is very different from the US. There are too many students for the buses, and there is no “maximum capacity” for any of the buses, so people just pile in until the doors can no longer close! It’s crazy! Also, this week I ate the best food I’ve ever tasted in my whole life. I know I tend to exaggerate but this is no exaggeration. In Italy there are restaurants called “agriturismo” which is a farm/restaurant that produces its own food and then serves it at the restaurant. We went to one of these restaurants and I had pasta with carmelized onions and ham, tomatoes, potatoes, and chocolate cake!
Here are some pictures from this week:
     This is a picture of the hotel my family owns! My house is right behind it. I took this picture while sitting at the fermata dell'autobus, the bus stop.
                                               Look at this chicken! LOOK AT IT! :)
                                         Eating at an "agroturismo" restaurant with my family
A typical bus in Italy- I don't know if you can see from this picture but the people are crammed in there pretty tight
My little host brother with the ukulele I brought :)

No comments:

Post a Comment